Re: oct2mat (was: Re: Mingw Octave-3.4.3 binaries for testing on windows

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: oct2mat (was: Re: Mingw Octave-3.4.3 binaries for testing on windows)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:34:40 -0400

On 24-Oct-2011, nitnit wrote:

| If and when we will have an installer, we can leave this pkg unloaded. In
| the meantime I can drop it completely.

I would leave it out until it is fixed to not install functions that
should not be used with Octave.  Otherwise, we are just going to see
more people who install it and load it anyway, thinking they want
every available package.  Then when Octave can't even make a simple
plot, they probably conclude that Octave is junk because it can't even
make a simple plot.  Sometimes they may search the web or ask on the
mailing list and find a solution for the problem, but wouldn't it be
better to completely avoid the whole problem by not providing this
package at all unless it is fixed?