Re: Octave's goals and motivations (Re: GUI)

From: Victor Salit
Subject: Re: Octave's goals and motivations (Re: GUI)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 14:47:33 +0200

2011/9/29 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
On 28 September 2011 18:40, tilas <address@hidden> wrote:
> BTW, I do not think anyone sees Octave as "just a Matlab clone of
> mediocre quality". Though it is a Matlab clone

I am almost certain that none of us working on Octave see it as a
Matlab clone. We frequently diverge from Matlab behaviour when we
This is quite off-topic. I just pointed out how it is frequently seen from outside (http://www.dspguru.com/dsp/links/matlab-cloneshttp://www.macresearch.org/octave_a_free_matlab_clone_and_a_bit_more)

Visual C++ and Google Chrome isn't a clone of Internet Explorer. If
you see Octave as a Matlab clone, you will fail to see the
improvements and extra features Octave has made over Matlab if all you
see is a lack of a GUI.

Well now that I have no access to Matlab, I have the chance to see the light ;)

> Now in general to all the unix(ego)centered  "scrap Windows and use
> Linux instead " etc.
> 1. grow up and change your attitude.

Octave is *GNU* Octave. Part of our goal is to ensure that you don't
need non-free software to work. In particular, you shouldn't need a
non-free operating system to work either.
Well I believe this is a free world and everybody is free to choose the appropriate mix of free and non-free software tools. Including Non-free OS with free apps or free OS with non-free apps. BTW, the linux world is not 100% free either. And in any case no one should be forced to either direction.

I really would like to see this project free of ideological wars.
Victor