Patch for silencing make warning

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Patch for silencing make warning
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 14:26:27 -0400

On 23-Sep-2011, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:

| Is the following safe to apply? It seems to otherwise produce a
| warning about there being two check: targets in the Makefile, which
| slightly clutters my output when I'm looking for compilation problems.
|
|     --- a/Makefile.am
|     +++ b/Makefile.am
|     @@ -104,9 +104,6 @@
|             @echo "   make install    - to install (PREFIX=$(prefix))"
|             @echo ""
|
|     -check: all
|     -       $(MAKE) -C test check
|     -
|      run-octave: run-octave.in Makefile
|             @$(do_subst_script_vals)
|             chmod a+rx "$@"

As I recall, the reason Rik added this target was so that the summary
output from "make check" would be clearly visible as the last thing on
the screen, like this:

    PASS   9654
    FAIL      1

  There were 2 expected failures (see fntests.log for details).

  Expected failures are known bugs.  Please help improve Octave
  by contributing fixes for them.

  253 (of 786) .m files have no tests.

  33 (of 147) .cc files have no tests.

  Please help improve Octave by contributing tests for
  these files (see the list in the file fntests.log).

  make[1]: Leaving directory `/scratch/jwe/build/octave/test'

instead of being followed by a lot of other information that obscures
the summary, like this:

    PASS   9654
    FAIL      1

  There were 2 expected failures (see fntests.log for details).

  Expected failures are known bugs.  Please help improve Octave
  by contributing fixes for them.

  253 (of 786) .m files have no tests.

  33 (of 147) .cc files have no tests.

  Please help improve Octave by contributing tests for
  these files (see the list in the file fntests.log).

  make[2]: Leaving directory `/scratch/jwe/build/octave/test'
  make[2]: Entering directory `/scratch/jwe/build/octave'
  making run-octave from /home/jwe/src/octave/run-octave.in
  run-octave is unchanged
  chmod a+rx "run-octave"
  make -C doc/interpreter ../../AUTHORS
  make[3]: Entering directory `/scratch/jwe/build/octave/doc/interpreter'
  make[3]: `../../AUTHORS' is up to date.
  make[3]: Leaving directory `/scratch/jwe/build/octave/doc/interpreter'
  make -C doc/interpreter ../../BUGS
  make[3]: Entering directory `/scratch/jwe/build/octave/doc/interpreter'
  make[3]: `../../BUGS' is up to date.
  make[3]: Leaving directory `/scratch/jwe/build/octave/doc/interpreter'
  make -C doc/interpreter ../../INSTALL.OCTAVE
  make[3]: Entering directory `/scratch/jwe/build/octave/doc/interpreter'
  make[3]: `../../INSTALL.OCTAVE' is up to date.
  make[3]: Leaving directory `/scratch/jwe/build/octave/doc/interpreter'
  refusing to overwrite .gdbinit with newer version from
/home/jwe/src/octave/etc/gdbinit

  Octave successfully built.  Now choose from the following:

     ./run-octave    - to run in place to test before installing
     make check      - to run the tests
     make install    - to install (PREFIX=/usr/local/octave/dev)

  make[2]: Leaving directory `/scratch/jwe/build/octave'
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/scratch/jwe/build/octave'

I don't see an easy way to avoid this extra output without eliminating
the recursive invocations of Make.  That might be a good thing to do
ultimately, but it's a bit of a project.