Re: Profiler: Interactive exploration of hierarchical profile

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: Profiler: Interactive exploration of hierarchical profile
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 07:44:55 +0200

On 09/22/11 23:04, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 22 September 2011 14:56, Daniel Kraft <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> here are two change-sets.  The first one, total.diff, just adds
>> a field for "total time" to the hierarchical profiler output.  (I
>> think this might be a valuable addition.)
>
> Thanks, this is useful. I've briefly tested them and pushed them,
> along with a minor documentation improvement.
>
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/graph/c5ddb99ff5de

Thanks!  And yes, I didn't care about the documentation so far ...
probably I should at least have included the docstring, but forgot.
My plan is to write an example session as for profshow, when I find
time to do so.

> It may make sense to move these to their own directory under
> scripts if you foresee there will be more m-files for the
> profiler.

I can of course do so -- possibly there will be profsave in the future
to get HTML output (or even gprof format or others), but I have no
concrete plans to do this "right now".  If I do, should I already move
all profiler files then to a new directory?

>> The second one, profexplore.diff, adds a new function:
>> profexplore. Called like
>>
>> profexplore (profile ('info'))
>>
>> , this opens an interactive prompt that allows "exploration" of
>> the hierarchical call-tree.  Type 'help' on the prompt for the
>> supported commands.
>
> I don't want to be too critical, so I will use someone else's
> drawings to voice my concerns:
>
> http://notinventedhe.re/on/2010-1-19
> http://notinventedhe.re/on/2010-1-20
>
> I think a profiler is a prime example of something that could be
> made to work nicely from the GUI. I didn't find your interface too
> hard to use, however. It would be nice if the data were aligned
> like the table from profshow. It's a good *first* implementation,
> but we really do need to think about how to make this work well
> from other frontends (the GUI or Emacs or whatever).

I agree that this is surely something nice to have a GUI for; but
honestly, I'm neither the person who uses GUIs a lot (where a good CLI
is available) nor do I think I'm good at designing and implementing
GUIs.  So I hope I can leave that to someone else ... but of course,
if there are improvements I can make to the data format to help
facilitate that, just let me know!

Regarding alignment:  You mean to print the "options" at the current
level in form of a table, right?  Of course I can do that ... is the
data displayed ok, or should I also include more stuff there (like
FunctionTable index or attributes -- but for instance "recursive" is
an attribute collected for all "instances" of a function in the
call-tree; I'm not sure whether it makes sense to display that
together with an individual entry in the call-tree, which might not be
recursive by itself)?

Yours,
Daniel

- --
http://www.domob.eu/
- --
Done:  Arc-Bar-Cav-Kni-Ran-Rog-Sam-Tou-Val-Wiz
To go: Hea-Mon-Pri