Re: Release plans for the GUI

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Release plans for the GUI
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 06:48:03 -0400

On Sep 9, 2011, at 6:00 AM, Richard Crozier wrote:

> On 09/09/2011 01:28, Andriy Shinkarchuck wrote:
>> Yes, it would be great thing. But there arent any comments or suggestions
>> yet :(
>>
>> 2011/9/9 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
>>> This is a long list. Should we make this a wiki page?
>>>
>>> - Jordi G. H.
>>>

> Ok, I have a couple of suggestions of features that could be added to
> the wish list.
>
> The Matlab editor has a nice feature where when stopped at a breakpoint
> in the editor you can hover the mouse over the variables in the file and
> their contents are displayed in a context-menu like display. I find this
> quite useful when debugging as I generally have the editor full screen
> in a separate window from the main GUI in my setup so I can see more code.
>
> You can also navigate up and down the stack from a drop down list and
> the appropriate file is opened or switched to in the editor and the
> mouse hovering thing continues to function etc.
>
> Richard
>

> --

If you go back and look at my original sources for the octave server in the
OctaveDe project (which Jacob improved a lot, but also cut out a big chunk of
functionality), there was functionality for requesting individuals variables
and their contents and manipulating/interacting with debugging information.
http://octavede.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octavede/branches/OctaveDE_QT/src/server.cpp?revision=91&view=markup

I'm sure this can be added back into the newest incarnation of the class that
communicated with Octave quite easily, I just don't think anyone has done it
yet.

John Swensen