Re: format compact and loose

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: format compact and loose
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 12:08:24 -0400

On  8-Sep-2011, Ben Abbott wrote:

| Might there be a specific place in the code where a single if-block could be
placed to convert from loose to compact format? I don't know how to convert
"os" on the c++ side, but I'm thinking of an equivalent to ...

|       if (compact_format)
|         output = strrep (output, "\n\n", "\n");
|       endif

The trouble with this approach is that you have to collect all the
output first, then create a second copy of it with the replacement
text.  That could chew up a lot of memory.  It think it is better to
omit the extra newlines in the output routines.