Re: Missing DLLs (was: Issues & questions building Octave-3.4.2 MinGW)

From: nitnit
Subject: Re: Missing DLLs (was: Issues & questions building Octave-3.4.2 MinGW)
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 12:03:53 -0700 (PDT)

PhilipNienhuis wrote:
Good work, thank you for doing this. I'll test it the next weeks. Perhaps it is a good base for a "installer" like NSIS. I more or less did the same as you but never got around to finishing it (when installing packages I still got complaints about missing include files etc), let alone document it. Good that someone beat me to it. Will you upload a description of the exact steps to recreate your octave-3.4.2-mingw tree, please?
I have documented all my steps, so I will edit them to be readable and post them.
I see that very unfortunately you have included the oct2mat package. This package is only needed for converting Octave stuff to Matlab. It is known to ruin a.o., MinGW-Octave's plotting stuff.... Please remove this package a.s.a.p. from the uploaded 7z file to avoid a repetition of many many complaints in the help-octave ML (otherwise many users will find your upload, obliviously use it anyway, and get stuck...)
Yes you are right that oct2mat was problematic with Octave-3.2.4, however I have not met the oct2mat related 'plot hangups' with my Octave-3.4.2 and current oct2mat pkg. Plotting works fine both on XP-SP3 and WIN7-X64 systems even when oct2mat is loaded. I thought that we can let the users to decide which pkgs will be installed and auto-loaded, installed and not auto-loaded or not-installed.
Some remarks: - Again, good work! - From user's POV building all these packages shouldn't be needed anymore since the "pkg" command contains a "-forge" option. OK, the pkg command may need some improvements: * Automatically installing dependency packages * Checking for shadowed core functions (I'm busy with that) - Perhaps it is better to supply the package-7z file with all packages NOT loaded by default. It is easy to get the required packages autoloaded using "pkg rebuild -auto ".
In order to install the pkgs, I had to: a. Make some manual patches and settings to some of current sourceforge pkgs b. Download some dependencies: include files, libs and dlls (which I didn't build by my self)
- Michael has just uploaded a newer version (1.0.10) of the windows pkg. The version you've included (1.0.8) is known to have problems.
I have installed today windows-1.0.10. It still cause the 'clear all' crash when loaded. You can simply 'pkg uninstall windows' and 'pkg install ...' the newer version. I can also update my uploaded archives.
- Similarly, although many OF-packages may install OK, it is unsure if they do work OK with Octave-3.4.x. You marked your upload as meant for testing, but that info is easily lost for users (esp. the more "spoiled" part of the Windows audience). Maybe add "testing" somewhere in the name of the file?
You are right, I should mark them as 'testing'.
I suppose you mean a JRE rather than a JDK. To run the Java pkg with Octave only a JRE is needed; but to build the Java pkg a JDK is required.
JRE is required for running but JDK is required for building and install. I have mentioned that since my uploaded pkgs archive includes all other dependecies in order to install the pkgs from source. Nitzan