Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 18:26:36 +0200

John:

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 24-Jun-2011, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

| For example, I know quite a few competent developers who use Python or R,
| even FORTRAN (all and happily on Windows), rather than Octave.

So what do the Python and R people do about building their software
and all the associated dependencies on Windows systems?  Are there
many people who are actually building these systems on Windows, or
just one or two people who do all the work for everyone else?

  You mean the Python developers themselves?
I wouldn't know how they do it. Browsing www.python.org I couldn't find much info on that. Looking at their buildbot page:
(http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/all/waterfall?category=3.x.stable&category=3.x.unstable)
I see lots of platforms mentioned.
Apparently Python has a broader, more coherent and more powerful development community than Octave (lucky for them, sad for Octave).

For R a formalized Windows build tool set based on MingW seems to be available and maintained:
http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/
Maybe that can be amended for Octave. Building (most? of) the various Octave dependencies would still be needed. But indeed, a similar build development is what IMO is needed to facilitate building & developing Octave on Windows (Note: without me pointing at someone to make it).

Philip