Re: OctConf?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: OctConf?
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 18:32:54 -0500

2011/6/14 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
> On 13-May-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
> | I therefore propose we have an Octave conference.

> I'm also in favor of having another meeting and possibly somewhat
> more regular meetings in the future. I also think that face to face
> interaction can make a big difference.

Nice!

> | Naturally of course the first question is where.

> No matter where we have the meeting, we will be far away from
> someone. Where would be the most convenient location if we look at
> who the major contributors are now, and those who are most likely to
> attend?

I'm in wherever the conference is. I would prefer if it were not in
the US since flying there is somewhat unpleasant, but it's mostly just
an annoyance, and I can live with it. Western Europe is also a
possibility, as we have a number of contributors from Spain, Germany,
France, Italy, and Nordic countries.

I briefly spoke to someone in IRC over hosting it in Brazil, and they
liked the idea. Brazil would be a gorgeous spot for a conference, but
that is probably even further away from most people than Mexico as I
originally proposed.

We need to get some traction on where it could be done. A wiki page
would help to coordinate this, following Sage's example for organising
Sage Days, plus an announcement from octave.org's front page. I think
wiki.octave.org is somewhat cumbersome to edit right now, since we're
using a semi-secret password as a captcha. I'll see about fixing that
first.

- Jordi G. H.