Re: Implementation of a profiler

From: Luke M
Subject: Re: Implementation of a profiler
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 12:00:09 -0800 (PST)

Daniel Kraft wrote:

> Admittedly, I have not yet looked at Octave's source code (further than
> checking out a hg repository).  But I suppose there's some kind of
> abstract syntax tree modelled by C++ classes that is generated by the
> parser and then used to evaluate different kinds of statements,
> expressions and the like.  For a profiler, my idea is to add code there
> that collects statistics like number of times something is
> evaluated/executed and the time needed for that.  This should be more or
> less straight-forward, and when that is done, some kind of UI (on the
> command-line similarly to gprof, for instance) can present the results.
>
> However, I see two (possible) problems:
Check out these threads, which may provide some useful info:

Old Octave profiler work:
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-profiler-td1641945.html

JIT discussion:
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Re-State-of-JIT-compiler-td3319804.html

The first discusses implementing a separate profiling/debugging evaluator
that is only used if you activate that mode, a la "profile on" in Matlab;
the second provides hints on where to start.