Re: PCRE library requirement

From: Richard Campbell
Subject: Re: PCRE library requirement
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 07:26:14 -0500

We had ongoing problems with portability that we eventually traced to the fact
that two of my coworkers had multiple versions of gcc, gfortran, libstdc++, etc
on their machines. The ones from Fink and Macports all had newer version
numbers than the Apple variants but didn't support features like universal
binary construction. And depending on what user you were logged in as, a
different compiler would run when you typed 'gcc' on the same machine.
Additionally we had one machine where the presence of non universal binary
libstdc++ caused any third party OSX .app bundle which had been compiled as
32-bit with c++ to not run.

When we got rid of Fink and Macports all of a sudden we could run the same code
with the same build process in all our OSX, Linux, and MinGW target
environments.

If the package managers don't install their own compilers then they're probably
fine. I just don't see how the benefits outweigh the potential headaches, given
that most projects build from source on OSX easily without needing to be
'ported'.

But then again, before I ever used a Mac, I was on Slackware and I built
everything from source there too.

Campbell