Incomplete Maintaners Archive listing

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Incomplete Maintaners Archive listing
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 18:01:22 -0500

On 16-Dec-2010, John W. Eaton wrote:

| On 16-Dec-2010, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
|
| | Since a few days I have trouble browsing the Maintainers Archives.
| |
| | Following the link to "maintainers archives" on Octave's mailing lists page,
| | I first get a web page containing pointers to monthly listings only up to
| | March 2009.
| |
| | Following a few links a the page, I got the same "The Octave-maintainers
| | Archives" but now with only December, 2010 added (see screen shot). Clicking
| | on it only shows me the latest message.
| |
| | Where is the rest of the archived messages?
|
| I don't know what happened.  I've asked the people who maintain the
| lists at UW about the problem.

Here's the response I received:

  address@hidden via RT wrote:

  > I just noticed that the archives for the bug-octave and
  > octave-maintainers lists now contain postings going all the way back
  > to when the lists were created (way before we started using Mailman on
  > the CAE systems) but they no longer have current posts.  The latest
  > messages in the archive are from March 2009, around the time we
  > started using Mailman on the CAE systems.  Do you know what happened
  > there?  Will current posts reappear?

  The archives for octave-graphics and octave-sources should be complete
  for the history of the lists. bug-octave, help-octave, and
  octave-maintainers are all complete in the mbox file that mailman stores
  messages in, but the web archives are not complete. Unfortunately, the
  mailman program to rebuild the web archives from the mbox file is very
  particular about characters with ascii values > 127, So I've been going
  through and fixing that largely by removing the special characters in
  messages that don't have the correct header info (content-type /
  encoding). My apologies in advance to Søren Hauberg, whose
  name has been replaced many times with Soren Hauberg (but nowhere
  near universally).

  I'm going to finish rebuilding octave-maintainers' archives, but will
  leave bug-octave and help-octave until after the move to the new VMs,
  hoping that the linux archiver will be more tolerant than the solaris
  one. New messages to the list will appear in the archive until I run the
  command to rebuild it again. At that point it deletes everything that's
  there, and then processes the mbox file, and then outputs the web
  archive. Since the new messages are later in the file than the message
  that caused the process to fail, they don't appear on the web. They'll
  be there hopefully before this weekend.

  > There are also some posts in the bug-octave archive that have
  > incorrect dates (1960s and one from 2017).  I guess if you grabbed my
  > mbox files of old messages, they had some badly formatted dates.  Oh
  > well, I doubt it is worth the effort to fix...

  I'll go through the mbox files and fix these messages when I'm
  rebuilding the archives.

  Thanks for your patience with this!
  -Paul

  --