file not found question

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: file not found question
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 10:19:23 -0500

I have a compiled tip from yesterday  (Ubuntu 10.04) (make test showed 0 errors and  1 known error)
I am working on the help info for bar.m taken from todays tip.
After modifying the info part, I wanted to see the results, so I saved it in the top (octave) folder of my running version and named it bar1.m
It gave me the following message:

octave:3> bar1 (randn (1, 100))
error: `__bar__' undefined near line 98 column 21
error: called from:
error:   /home/doug/octave_dev/compiling/octave/bar1.m at line 98, column 19

I the saved it in the same folder as the original bar.m but saved it as bar2.m.
It now ran without any error.

Why should it's ability to find __bar__.m  be determined by the calling functions location?
Doug Stewart