Re: Patches for escalated value setting in base_property and autopositio

From: logari81
Subject: Re: Patches for escalated value setting in base_property and autopositioning of labels in fltk
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 18:05:39 +0100

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 16:13 +0000, bpabbott wrote:
> On Dec 08, 2010, at 10:54 AM, logari81 <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have recently started seeking ways for implementing the
> > "tightinset"
> > property in the fltk backend. Though, before I can do any progress
> > on
> > this issue, there is a bug with title and labels positioning which
> > has
> > to be fixed.
> >
> > Currently running
> > xlabel('x label', 'rotation', 90)
> > with the fltk backend will have no effect on the orientation of the
> > xlabel.
> >
> > In order to fix this bug it is necessary to distinguish when the
> > position/rotation of a text object is explicitly set by the user, so
> > that the auto-positioning is correspondingly disabled.
> >
> > I haven't found a way to mark a property as set by the user or set
> > by
> > octave, so I decided to extend the base_property object with a flag
> > named "weak" which can be used to distinguish if a property is set
> > "weakly", for example when its value is guessed by octave, or
> > "strongly", for example when it is set explicitly by the user. The
> > implementation of the corresponding infrastructure is included in
> > the
> > first changeset: "base_property_weak.changeset". Any other
> > suggestions
> > are more than welcome.
> >

> Other properties have a "mode" which can take values of "auto" or
> "manual". For consistency can the same nomenclature be used?
>

> For reference, I did check Matlab's behavior. Matlab does appear to
> have a hidden (AFAIK) method to track when the position/rotation is
> set automatically or set manually by the user.
>

> Ben

Maybe using additional properties like

rotationmode
positionmode
horizontalalignmentmode
verticalalignmentmode

would be the simplest solution. Though I believe that these properties,
if used, then they should be hidden, otherwise the user is overwhelmed
with unnecessary information. Are there currently other hidden
properties present in octave so that I can use them as an example in
order to provide an alternative fix based on this idea?

BR

Kostas