Re: Backend independent print function

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: Backend independent print function
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:26:54 +0300

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Ole Jacob Hagen
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you made a backend independent print function, yet?
> Have you some thoughts on this?
>
> The reason why I ask, is that gnuplot and octave is so sloooooooooooooow
> both rendering and printing.
> I am sick and tired of waiting for the retarded gnuplot to create a png of a
> plot.
>
> I'm using data from a file sized between 500 - 800 MB, and fltk plotted the
> data sets in no time compared to gnuplot. Parsing of the file takes 1300
> seconds. Plotting and printing takes 20 minutes, 10 figures. 30 minutes
> total using gnuplot. What if the fltk and the oplot backend uses half the
> plotting-printing time? That would great. ;-)

We have opengl based printing using gl2ps from the fltk backend.
The main big this not yet implemented is off-screen printing -- i.e.
printing w/o opening a window. I am not sure how to go about this,
since gl2ps needs an opengl context to work, and to create an opengl
context, you usually have to open a window... There is some
OS-dependent stuff (i.e in windows you can create an off-screen
context) btu nothing which looks maintainable as apart of octave. If
you have any suggestions, please let me know

Shai