Re: Mlint for octave

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: Mlint for octave
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:29:06 +0100

Marko Ristin skrev:
hi david!

thanks for your response.

before i even start, is there a style-guideline for octave programs?

2010/1/28 David Grundberg <address@hidden>:
Marko Ristin wrote:
Hi girls & guys!

i'm new to the list - so first of all: hello everybody!

i am writing some octave code and tried to find a lint utility similar
to mlint which exists for matlab
(http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/mlint.html).
is there such a program for octave? (i couldn't find it.) is somebody
already developing it? could i join? if there's no such utility, is it
a desirable feature at all?

cheers
marko

Hi, I don't think there are a lint tool for Octave. If you start building
one, I don't think anyone will stop you. In fact, I think it would be neat.
Some engagement in C++ programming would be needed, I think the place to
start is building an own tree_walker, similar to tree_print_code
(pt-pr-code.h) and tree_evaluator (pt-eval.h). Having an interest in static
analysis wouldn't hurt either.

regards
David

Please keep discussion on-list (use "reply-all" or similar).

It's GNU style in C++, in Emacs that's M-x c-set-style RET gnu RET.
And no tabs, that's M-x set-variable RET indent-tabs-mode RET nil RET. In m-files you can use M-x octave-mode RET.

There is an appendix D: "Contributing Guidelines" in the (interpreter) manual. The documentation on the website is old, you can find the current manual in the mercurial repository.

Regards,
David