Re: Octave control via d-bus

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave control via d-bus
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:07:30 -0800 (PST)

> Greetings,
>
> I would like to add the ability to exchange data between octave and the
> spreadsheet programs openoffice, kspread, and gnumeric.  Pedro Lucas
> (cc'd),

For plain data exchange with OpenOffice ODS there's support since a few
weeks in octave-forge, based on java.

> the developer of QtOctave, suggested this to me when I asked him what I
> could do to help with QtOctave.  At first, I was looking at just
> openoffice,
> and at octave being the "master" and openoffice being the "slave."  That
> is,
> run a command in octave (maybe with a nice gui in QtOctave) to generate a
> spreadsheet (or writer document with table) from an octave array (I am
> aware
> of PyUNO and have experimented some with this).  But it seemed that it is
> more useful for the spreadsheet to be the master, since that gives the
> user
> control over the formatting.  I'm thinking something like the Matlab Excel
> Link, for those of you that know about this product.

While data exchange is now possible tru java, there was already a java-based
way to control octave, see e.g.:
http://jopas.sourceforge.net/

I haven't tried that one but stumbled across it when searching for other
octave <-> java stuff. I'm sure I've seen similar solutions elsewhere on the
web.

This might be another way to get what you want.

That said, I don't know if there is any java-based support for gnumeric and
kspread...

Philip