Re: offscreen rendering with gl-render - pls advice

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: offscreen rendering with gl-render - pls advice
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:16:39 +0100

    (2) I'm becoming a fan of pgf/tikz, which would require a latex
    install to render to ps/pdf/etc.

           http://sourceforge.net/projects/pgf/reviews/

Looks nice, but apart from the LaTeX run-time requirement, someone needs to code it (It is a completely new backend not based on gl-render/OpenGL), not a small task.

Hmm, I'm not really a fan of having LateX a requirement to get printed plots with octave. This is IMO 1) too much of an overkill and 2) sounds veeery slow.

Furthermo, on a Windows system one cannot really expect to have it installed so probably in 9 out of 10 cases it's an add-on requirement.

Does it require to be a gl->hardcopy library?
gnuplot for example uses the pango/cairo libraries to generate png and pdf output. Would that be an option?

benjamin