Re: Install status on Mac OS X 10.6.2

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Install status on Mac OS X 10.6.2
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 16:45:54 -0500

On 11-Jan-2010, Joel LeBlanc wrote:

| As you can see, I had to tell configure where a lot of things are.

I think you specified more that needed.

If you want to improve the situation, then you need to report the
problems you are having if you don't specify these options.
Preferably, let's attack each one individually, not all at the same
time...

In any case, the following options are just restating defaults:

  -enable-shared
  -enable-dl
  --disable-static
  --with-hdf5
  --with-fftw
  --infodir='${prefix}/share/info'
  --mandir='${prefix}/share/man'

The --without-mpi option is no longer handled by Octave's configure
script, and I don't think it ever actually did anything useful
anyway.

You should not have to specify any of -lGraphicsMagick, -lfltk_gl
-lfltk, or -lpthread in LDFLAGS.  What happens if you omit them?

You should not have to specify FLIBS.  The configure script should
find that from running the Fortran compiler you specify with the
"F77=..." argument.  If the value that the configure script finds by
default is not correct, then you should report the problem to the
autoconf mailing list, since the macro that does this job is not part
of autoconf.

You should not have to specify -lgfortran in LDFLAGS, as the configure
script should find the correct Fortran library to link with.  What
goes wrong if you don't include -lgfortran in LDFLAGS?

The --with-framework-{carbin,opengl} options were added because
someone wanted Octave's configure script to be more aware of "native
Mac" stuff, so now they are causing trouble and you have to disable
them?

If you would like the blas and lapack detection to be better for your
system, then the macros to fix are the acx_blas.m4 and acx_lapack.m4
files from the autoconf archive.  Then someone should let us know that
the versions in the archive have changed and we can update them in the
Octave configure script.

As for the other things you need to specify in FFLAGS="-ff2c",
LDFLAGS, and CPPFLAGS, I think it is against the autoconf philosphy to
embed such system-specific knowledge in a configure script.