Re: Native TikZ backend?

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Native TikZ backend?
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 15:39:14 +0200

lor, 11 07 2009 kl. 09:28 -0400, skrev John W. Eaton:
> On 11-Jul-2009, Soren Hauberg wrote:
>
> | Yeah, it's a really nice format; my papers have never looked as good :-)
>
> Looking at the examples, it seems that Tikz can do a lot of
> interesting things.  But how is it better than gnuplot's pdflatex
> terminal for 2d and 3d graphs?

I'm not sure it's better if you're using gnuplot. But it seems to me
that minor things get dropped when routing things through gnuplot from
Octave. We have to express our plots within the limitations of gnuplot,
which means that sometimes you don't get what you asked for. E.g.
sometimes you don't get the markers on your plot that you asked for in
Octave. We should be able to avoid such issues if we don't send things
through gnuplot in the first place.

That being said, I'm not sure if it is worth spending time on such a
backend. Perhaps the benefit doesn't match the development time. I did
some preliminary experiments and things seems fairly straight-forward,
but perhaps I only worked on the trivial parts?

In either case, I thought it would be better to share the code :-)

Soren