Re: desired features for gp backend?

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Re: desired features for gp backend?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:30:08 -0700

I thought about this some after Ben's question.

I think you are right. Even though I did like gplot, it is far better to abstract the plotting from the specific tool. MATLAB plotting syntax is occasionally clunky, but it is reasonably straightforward. To return to anything gplot specific would be going backwards, not forwards.

A user can always create his own interface if the octave solution doesn't work.

Plotting has always been a bit of a problem. Back when we did everything in FORTRAN (just dated myself!) there were a couple of good subroutine packages that became fairly standardized and life was good. Making good plots conveniently was something I took for granted. That hasn't really happened since.

Just my opinion.

Bob

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 14-Jun-2009, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| set(fig, 'postplot', 'set gnuplotfeature xyz; replot')
| plot(x, y)
| | might have value.

I have no interest in doing this because it ties your plotting
commands to gnuplot, and introduces portability problems for people
who don't want to use gnuplot for plotting.  I think it is much better
to have Octave's plotting functions and properties be generic, and
equally supported by all plotting backends.  If you want to use
specific gnuplot features, I think the best solution is to write your
data to a file and use gnuplot directly.