Re: stable repo

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: stable repo
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 21:32:52 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 24-Apr-2009, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| so, what now? For convenience, I'll summarize my proposal once more:
| We'll essentially have two main development repos of different speed
| that will occassionally be synchronized (by merging, though this can
| still be discussed).
| | Bug-fixing will primarily occur in stable repo and releases will be
| forked from it. The stable repo will enter a "feature freeze" state
| when a release is due to happen,
| otherwise it will occassionally pull the new stuff from main.
| Development of new features, improvements etc. will happen in main
| repo, which will be unaffected by "feature freeze".

I'm still trying to figure out how this will work.  The model used by
GCC makes more sense to me.  Releases are made from the main
development version.  When (or just before) a release, a branch is
created for the stable release (say 3.2.0).  Eventually, at the end of
the lifetime for the 3.2.x release series, that branch becomes
inactive.  Development looks like this:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html#timeline

This method looks pretty good.  The diagram is nice too.  From the perspective
of people who bundle distros, they know where to go for the stable release.
(Can we put some html links in the diagram?)

Yes, getting people to fix bugs in a stable release will be difficult, but I
suspect there'd be a natural flow of things.  Most people who judge a bug to be
bad or at the core of the program will be motivated to fix it.  If it isn't so
consequential, the branch will have a short lifetime.  But I'm thinking HG is
supposed to make things easy if a bug is fixed in the main branch and needs to
transfered to the release branch.

Dan