Re: Objects and OOP

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Re: Objects and OOP
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 21:03:44 -0800

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 27-Jan-2009, Robert T. Short wrote:

| I think classdef support will be able to build on the old-style | stuff without much code support - just parser support. In the end, I | would like to have a very complete MATLAB style OOP system.
I thought it was completely different, because it has reference
semantics, and the current class thing is value based.
Well, I could be wrong. In fact, it is likely. What I did was look at the existing code, the MATLAB documentation, the octave sources, and what I really need right now. I said "Bob, what you can do easily is.....". If I was wrong about the classdef stuff, then I will probably have to do the same work twice. On the other hand the first time working with somebody else's code, it is likely better to go simple and let the chips fall where they may. Furthermore, if the goal is to be MATLAB compatible (and it is a serious goal for me), then both are necessary.
| I have done some modification to ov-class.{h,cc}, and hope to have | something functional to post by the weekend. I certainly won't have the | complete solution that soon, but you did ask me to do small chunks. I | really want to get this to work so I can quit using Windows and back to | my linux system.

I could probably help with the implementation if I understood clearly
how inheritance is supposed to work.

I expect you could do the whole thing in 15 minutes. If you prefer, I can just dump what I am trying to do and you can do it or just tell me how. It is probably worth my time and yours for me to poke around and learn the sources and then have you critique my solutions. Slow and a bit painful, but that is the only way I know of to learn the code and it gets it off of your shoulders. I am just now getting to the point where I am modifying sources, and will probably have questions and I hope you don't mind. Of course I will document it when I am done. Octave is quite complex. I hope you appreciate the astonishing code base you have built. I sure do.

jwe

Bob
--
Robert T. Short