Re: Plotting status in Octave

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: Plotting status in Octave
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:59:39 -0600

On 10/19/08 address@hidden wrote:
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:40:46 -0500
From: " Jordi Guti?rrez Hermoso " <address@hidden>
Subject: Plotting status in Octave

I seem to have lost track of what's been happening with plotting in
Octave. I know Shai Ayal and Michael Goffioul were doing a lot of
work[1] towards moving away from gnuplot, and I remember some efforts
to move their merges from octave-graphics into main. What happened to
this?

And remember MathGL[2]? It looks very pretty. Is it going to be a part
of Octave?

I am *very* interested in getting high-quality 3d plots into Octave.
In fact, nowadays my primary use of Octave is for post-processing and
producing nice-looking plots. Octaviz has produced the best-looking 3d
plots for me so far, but it's abandoned upstream and I now agree with
Thomas Weber's opinion that combining VTK and Octave is too much work
and too resource-intensive. Compiling Octaviz requires compiling all
of VTK with some flex and bison arcana that I am unable to debug.

As much as I love VTK/Octaviz, I have recently reached the same conclusion. I would gladly continue to develop the frontend (m-file functions) of Octaviz, but with Dragan gone and no other c++ guru to debug the internals of Octaviz, I am afraid it is dying (or already dead). I guess the best way to use octave and VTK together in the long term is to save data from octave and write VTK scripts/programs to generate the plots using the saved data, as I have done in the past.

I'd appreciate a quick summary of what's been going with plotting in
Octave so I have an idea of where to start thinking of directing my
attention.

Reiterating Jordi, what is the best way for me to get involved with improving Octave's 3D plotting capabilities?

Thanks,
Jonathan