Re: [code_swarm] Re: Changelog parser?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [code_swarm] Re: Changelog parser?
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 05:39:30 -0500

2008/10/12 Sébastien Rombauts <address@hidden>:
> 2008/10/12 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
>>
>> Hm, I'll just add the Changelog format to convert_logs.py,

> Yes, do so :

Done, see attached. I also managed to produce the following:

     http://platinum.linux.pl/~jordi/movies/octave-code-swarm.avi

For some strange reason it died on me around 2004, which is a shame
since Octave development really exploded around 2007. :-(

Btw, the Changelog format is described in the GNU coding standards, here:

      http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Style-of-Change-Logs.html

I am sure we can expect that other GNU member projects will adhere to
this format.

> It would be great if you could take the time to validate it with a few
> different changelog form different origins.

I tried it with the Octave Changelogs which go back to 1992 and
changed formatting more than once. Also, the Changelogs are scattered
amongst various directories; for that I manually went to each
directory, ran a quick sed on each Changelog so that all the files in
each subdirectory had that subdirectory as a prefix, catted all the
Changelogs together into one, and then ran convert_logs.py on that.

I'm not sure if this procedure should also be automated by the Python
script, recursing into subdirectories. Maybe.

Anyways, HTH
- Jordi G. H.