Re: Merging graphics branch

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Merging graphics branch
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:19:06 +0200

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Michael Goffioul
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Note also that the code above is not good, because "updating"
> would be shared by all linked properties. The scope of
> "updating" should be restricted to the current link object.
> The use of new OO features would be useful here.

Thinking about this a little bit further, I realized that using an object
to store the linking state (updating or not) won't work, because objects
are passed by value in octave, not by reference. IMO, this is something
I'm really missing in the other brand and it would allow much more
flexible programming patterns: creating objects dynamically (like the
regular classes) and being able to pass them by reference (acting
like a pointer). At first sight, this would mean to having octave_class
objects to share the internal Octave_map, instead of copying it.
Would this be imaginable?

Michael.