Re: Polyfit with scaling

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Polyfit with scaling
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 07:39:19 -0500

On Feb 4, 2008, at 5:04 AM, Thomas Weber wrote:

Am Sonntag, den 03.02.2008, 19:20 -0500 schrieb Ben Abbott:

Give these results and the need to remain compatible with past
expectations, and with Matlab, I'm inclined to make both QR and
normalization optional.

Why do we need to stay compatible with past expectations? If polyfit
gets better with fitting, I don't think anybody would mind.

You've missed my point. The expectations I refer to are the consistency of outputs, and compatibility of functionality. By compatibility, I do not mean to copy its bugs and/or weaknesses.

With regards to Matlab, it uses a QR decomposition
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/polyfit.html

Thanks! Looking over that document, it appears to explain the intent of the Cholesky factor of the Vandermonde matrix. In addition, it implies that Mathworks normalizes their data as well.

I have a version of polyfit that does all these things. I'll clean it up, do some comparative testing with Matlab and post it for review latter.

Ben