Re: Profiler and GUI in Octave?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Profiler and GUI in Octave?
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:44:45 +0200

Andreas Romeyke wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Am Sat, 06 Oct 2007 02:51:39 +0200
> schrieb Svante Signell <address@hidden>:
>

>> My question is more how difficult it is to implement such a thing.
>> Regarding a GUI this a secondary issue as least for us, computation
>> speed is more important. We are offering our help here, not requiring
>> immediate support for something not yet implemented! Is it feasible at
>> all? We can offer our help by trying our application in the Octave
>> environment as well as Matlab and compare performance.
>>

> Because Octave's builtin functions you are able to compile octave with
> GCC profiling option ("-pg") and using gprof to postprocess. This would
> give you a hint in which part of functions CPU power is gone.

Unfortunately this is not an ideal solution, as its difficult to isolate
the gprof message for the C++ code and identify that with a part of a
script file. Also to use gprof octave has to be compiled with
"--enable-static --disable-shared --disable-dl" which means no external
oct-files. No gprof is more a tool for Octave developers to identify
slow bits of the C++ code itself rather than a generic Octave profiler.

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary