Re: Updated patch for multiple users of readline event hook

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Updated patch for multiple users of readline event hook
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 18:08:06 -0400

On 17-Sep-2007, John Swensen wrote:

| I had originally submitted a patch that left these files as C files.
| However, in that version I implemented the callback list as a simple C
| array with a 256 element array of function pointers.  Shai Ayal was the
| only one who gave feedback on the original patch and suggested I use
| std::vector/C++, rather than a fixed-size array.
|
| Either one works for me.  Which would you prefer?

I think the correct place for this change is in
liboctave/cmd-edit.cc.  The logic for having a list of event hook
functions should be independent of the actual class that implements
command editing (gnu_readline, default_command_editor, ...).

Also, your patch introduces some pthread things and includes a file
"pthread.h" which I don't think you supplied.  It seems to me that
adding that is a separate issue from adding a list of hook functions,
so please submit a patch that simply makes it possible for the

  command_editor::set_event_hook (event_hook_fcn f);
  command_editor::restore_event_hook (void);

functions to (though I think that these should perhaps be renamed to
add_event_hook and remove_event_hook), and that only makes that
change.  Perhaps the startup hook function could be handled in a
simmilar way for consistency.

Thanks,