Re: patch to configure.in & aclocal.m4 for graphics libraries

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: patch to configure.in & aclocal.m4 for graphics libraries
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 09:38:47 +0300

On 9/15/07, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 9/14/07, Shai Ayal <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I attach a patch for configure.in & aclocal.m4 for detection of
> > graphics related libraries -- fltk & freetype.
> > My shell & m4 skills are almost non-existant, so I applogise in
> > advance for the quality of the code.
> >
> > Shai
> >
> > 2007-09-14 Shai Ayal <address@hidden>
> >
> >  * aclocal.m4: add AC_CHECK_FT2 macro for detection of freetype version
> >  * configure.in: add checks for fltk library and freetype library
> > needed for the graphics back-end
>
> Does this mean that at some point, octplot (or a derived product)
> will become the de-facto standard graphic backend of octave?

The plan is to include a renderer in the octave distribution. It will
be based on the octplot rendering code with modifications to handle
3D. All the object tree management will be done by the octave
object/property code which is already in place and has no connection
with octplot.
Use of different renderers could be facilitated by a "renderer"
property for each figure which would determine which renderer would
render the figure. This way you could have several figures each
rendered by a different renderer.
Jhandles, as far as I understand, provides a renderer and replaces the
octave object/property code, so even today it is a complete
replacements for all of the graphics system of octave.

Shai