Comparing speed of Octave binaries on cygwin

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Comparing speed of Octave binaries on cygwin
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 14:59:32 +0900 (JST)

Hello

Previously jwe wrote:

***********************
http://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2007-August/003745.html

Given that Cygwin has its own packaging and distribution
system, perhaps the Cygwin binary should be dropped from
the Octave Forge site?  Doesn't it just cause trouble to
have a Cygwin binary that is separate from the Cygwin
package system?  I think that is especially true if the
separate binary is not even compiled with the normal
Cygwin compiler.  I think it would be much better to work
with the Cygwin people and find a way to fix the GCC
problems on Cygwin systems.  If that can't be done, then
maybe it's time to give up on Cygwin (at least as far as
Octave is concerned).  I don't see why that would be a
problem if we have a native Windows binary that works
better anyway.
*************************

I have building a binary of octave 2.9.13 by gcc-3.4.4-3
binary that was distrubuted in cygwin package.

Using Oregonator ODE (source was placed at the end of the
mail), we compare the solving time

octave 2.9.13 built with  gcc-3.4.4-3 in cygwin package
octave:1> testOregoB
ans =  9.2500

octave 2.1.73 binary in cygwin package
octave:1> testOregoB
ans = 7.0930

my testing binary built specially confgiured gcc.
octave:1> testOregoB
ans =  2.7030

To tell the truth I have not yet tested the speed of
octave built by normaly prepared gcc-3.4.4-3

For the gcc-3.4.4-3, the slowness problem concerning sjlj
exceptions has not been solved.  I do not know reason why.

Anyway I will throw the problem to the cygwin ML.

The cygwin is useful tool for me.  I cannot give up easily
for the possibilty the octave on cygwin.

At first I have to take part in the Cygwin ML.^^;

Sincerely,

Tatsuro Matsuoka

testOregoB.m
******************************
clear;
function dx = oregonator_m (x, t)
 dx=zeros (3, 1);
 dx(1)=77.27*(x(2)-x(1)*x(2)+ x(1)-8.375e-06*x(1)^2);
 dx(2)=(x(3)-x(1)*x(2)-x(2))/77.27;
 dx(3)=0.161*(x(1)-x(3));
end

% The test of `oregonator'.
x0 = [ 4; 1.1; 4 ];
%t = [0, logspace (-1, log10(303), 150), logspace
(log10(304), log10(500), 150)];
%t=linspace(0,500,1000);
t=0:0.5:500;
ts=cputime();