Re: graphics future

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: graphics future
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 14:35:01 -0500

Shai Ayal wrote:
On 4/26/07, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:

John W. Eaton wrote:

> | While group objects make these a LITTLE bit more convenient, I fail to
> | see what qualitative added value they have.
>
> It is impossible to implement some fairly common plot types (stem,
> bar, hist, stairs) in a compatible way without them.

Take stem for example. Where is the incompatibility? What portion of this
incompatibility has to do with the graphics engine?

Well, stem should return a stemseries object:
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/stem.html
so, the incompatibility is only in the return values. All input
parameters can be parsed and drawn in a compatible way with core
objects only

OK, so there's another doll inside the Matryoshka, a 'v6' option. Apparently what John implemented is version 6 and must remain. The hggroup is an additional factor. The stem series was may have been introduced because of the fact the more object-like handle for each line was too slow to render.

It seems to me this is mostly a matter of programming and it is close to compatible as it is.

Dan