Re: Octave/Win32 update

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave/Win32 update
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:29:23 -0500

On 30-Jan-2007, David Bateman wrote:

| If you want to build oct-files that use FFTW then it seems logical to me
| that the header files of FFTW should be installed.. The responsibility
| should be on the builder of the code to ensure that they have the
| require files except the minimum needed to build basic oct-files.. An
| interesting test to see how many problems we might have is to try and
| build the octave-forge packages that have no external and see what the
| problems are..

Another way around this problem is for Octave to provide wrappers for
all these kinds of functions, and only expose the interface to the
wrappers in its header files.  But that's more work, and I'm not sure
it is worth the effort.  Or, we could severely limit the external API
and just tell people to use feval if they want to use any function
that is defined inside Octave (similar to mexCallMATLAB).