Re: graphics crossroads

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: graphics crossroads
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:55:05 -0500

Shai Ayal wrote:
We have a handle graphics RFC in wiki + skeleton implementation by Bill Denney. It's been idle for some time since no-one was willing to invest time. However, If a lot of work is going to be invested in octave graphics now because of new interests/problems I suggest to follow up on this work, which is quite well thought out and should allow adding other plotting back-ends in the future.
Here is a slightly updated skeleton that I had put some work into and not yet posted. Here are two packages (installable by pkg) that are the most current version. Between the last published versions and the current version, I've worked to make this more vectorized because the main problem seems to be the implementation speed.

If someone could try to adapt to C++ the functions that directly touch the handles (anything that uses the __uiobject_globals__ script: delete, get, ishandle, set, __uiobject_create_object__, __uiobject_grow_list__, __uiobject_handle2idx__, __uiobject_move_object__, and __uiobject_update_timestamp__) then I think that would have the most significant impact on speed. Some of those are obviously very internal functions (__uiobject_grow_list__, __uiobject_handle2idx__, and __uiobject_update_timestamp__), and they may not need to be directly re-coded in C++.

Bill