Re: On being Matlab

From: frank wang
Subject: Re: On being Matlab
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 09:17:10 -0800

As a normal and a new user of Octave, I think the compitible with Matlab is one of the most important reason that I am tring to use it.

I have first tried to use SCILAB to port the existing project since SCILAB is more matured and supports both window and Linux and with better debugging feature. However, since it is not compitible with Matlab, I have to spend a lot of time to modify the code, recompile the mex file. Since the project invovled a lot of engineer using Matlab and it is an evolving project, eventually, I gave up the effort.

I start to try Octave. Supprisingly, I spend  a littile effort to port the project. Compling the mex code is so easy. The support from the expert are much more better than Scilab.

I think that the compitble with Matlab is one of the most important feature for Octave. We should try to keep it. Of course it deos not mean that Octave should be 100% compitible, especially the complicated and newest feature of Matlab.

With the compitibility, it will be easier to switch to Octave from Matlab and easier to maintain the project running in both Matlab and Octave without many changes. It might be easier to convince collegues and company to try Octave also.

Thanks

Frank