Re: Beyond 2.9.5

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Beyond 2.9.5
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:15:52 -0400

On 12-Apr-2006, David Bateman wrote:

| Perhaps also the "[x{:}] = foo(...)" changes should be included there.
| In this case I'd vote for getting everything into 2.9.5+ as fast as
| possible, and we can have a lovely unstable 2.9.6 release that we can
| then start trying to make stable again. Also why not include the
| graphics handle stuff in this list, as the basic infrastructure seems to
| be firming up.

I don't see the "[x{:}] = foo(...)" and graphics changes as backwardly
incompatible changes that require users to change code so they don't
seem as urgent to me.

The DEFVAR changes will be the most painful, since they will require
users to change things like

  automatic_replot = false;

  automatic_replot (false);

But I think there is a good reason to make this change, because it
will simplify the interpreter by not having to do special things for
built-in variables.