Re: handle graphics

From: N Smethurst
Subject: Re: handle graphics
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:56:08 +0200

So after ignoring us for years, John finally decides to take an interest in what must be considered the biggest downfall of an otherwise excellent numeric software system.

I must admit that I lost most of my interest in developing KVisualiser after having failed to attract even the smallest amount of help from the core Octave developers - i.e. those who really understand the (difficult to understand) inner workings of the C++ code. My project has been on hold for a while now, and I am reluntant to restart it unless I see some positive action to create a plugin based handle graphics hierarchy in Octave.

Ole and I discussed this issue to death in 2002/2003. All we need is that someone with an intimate understanding of the C++ code in Octave creates a plugin based framework consisting of an octave_value based class hierarchy based on the handle graphics hierarchy. We (everyone interested in creating visualisation applications that work with Octave) would then be responsible for doing everything else.

What we cannot easily do is understand the poorly documented internals of the Octave code base. We need someone like John to do that.

Nicholas

John W. Eaton a écrit :

[I'm copying this to the graphics list, but since that is mostly
dormant now, I'd prefer to discuss this on the maintainers list, so
please reply there.  --jwe]

Is anyone actively working on implementing handle graphics for Octave?