Re: Octave 2.1.57 available for ftp

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 2.1.57 available for ftp
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:41:42 -0600

On 12-Mar-2004, Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> wrote:

| I don't see how to do fix mex and implement orderfields without
| scrapping the use of map, or at a minimum, turning it into a map
| from string to cell into a map from string to cell index, and using
| a cell array of one dimension more than the dimension of the
| structure array to represent the data.  Other than the funny
| indexing (e.g., x.a may return a comma separated list), a struct
| really is a cell array with string names for one of the axes.

I don't have a problem with changing the internal implementation if it
is needed to support additional functionality.  I used map because it
seemed like it would be more efficient, and I didn't think there would
be any need to preserve the order in which the elements were added to
the struct.

The problem hasn't bitten me yet though, and I don't think I've ever
needed orderfields, so this change has a very low priority for me.  If
anyone else really needs it, then it would be nice to see a patch.

Thanks,