Re: [patch] Use C linkage for dynamic linking

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: [patch] Use C linkage for dynamic linking
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 21:27:39 +0100

I agree with John.  Keep down the cruft.  This is after all nominally
an unstable version.  In the stable series I would be inclined not to
change the ABI in the first place.

Note that I've found that .oct files compiled for 2.1.31 are rejected
by 2.1.34 (the only case of changed versions that I've tested), so the
issue is moot.

I do like the idea of keeping the name unmangled.  I'm drawn to the
idea of being able to call a shared object file directly from an m-file
without having to wrap it in C++ first.  For one thing, this would
allow all the type checking to go on in octave where it is more
convenient instead of C++.  For another, it would make it easier to
define an Octave interface to pre-existing functions.  Now the question
is how to do it efficiently without syntactic extensions.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden