octave-dso-general

Introduction

From: Edward Montague
Subject: Introduction
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 09:02:36 +1300

  I'm gradually gaining experience in using Octave, there is a fair
amount to learn.

 From time to time I post BASIC code to the FreeBasic website, I like
the structure this language provides and once the classes are implemented
a fair amount of software from other languages might be ported over.

 My operating system is Ubuntu 22.04 x64, I'm using Octave 6.4.0.
 I also use the Geany IDE for Octave, FreeBasic, C, C++, python and other
languages. With Octave and Geany I need to include the pause() command
at the end of the script.

 At the moment functions, in Octave,  are being investigated; the variables
passed to a particular function must be defined before the function definition.
 Also the function is called after it is defined; as far as I can tell.
 This is somewhat different than what one encounters with the likes of the C
programming language, where the use of declaration of functions prior to
their definition is quite prevalent and likely necessary.
 As this is the style I'm familiar with, I was wondering if Octave had a similar
mechanism; there is after all the option to emit Octave code as C++ code.

 What is the underlying language used by Octave.