Re: multiply linked emails

From: Valdis Klētnieks
Subject: Re: multiply linked emails
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 18:22:35 -0400

On Fri, 29 May 2020 14:41:05 -0400, Ken Hornstein said:

> >  2) would it be reasonable to have a mh-format that returned the number of
> >     hard links so that I could see in my scan that it was also stored
> >     elsewhere?
>
> That should be relatively straightforward, although it sounds like a bunch
> of layer violations to me (not that we really have many layers in nmh,
> but we should!).  Again, it has limited utility if the filesystem doesn't
> support hard links.

Well, if the system is Unixoid enough to *have* a stat() system call, and you
stat() a file on a file system that doesn't support multiple hard links, it
will just set the stat.st_nlink field to 1.  And I'm going to make a guess that
most nmh users are using a sane filesystem that does have multiple links.

The bigger thing will be bulletproofing it for things like the purported file
actually being a directory or a symlink or other non-file entity.