Re: Help! Trying to install nmh on ubuntu

From: Jay Vosburgh
Subject: Re: Help! Trying to install nmh on ubuntu
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 12:56:01 -0800

address@hidden wrote:

>Here is the result of sb_release -a:
>
>  Distributor ID:      Ubuntu
>  Release:     18.04
>  Codename:    bionic
>  No LSB modules are available.

        There is an NMH package available in the standard Ubuntu
repositories, "sudo apt install nmh" should install it.  I've used it
for years without issue.

>I have given up trying to install nmh from a package, deciding instead
>to install from the sources. But
>
>  ./configure  --prefix=/usr/local/nmh-1.7.1ubuntu/
>
>fails.
>
>I will attach config.log.

        Looking at the config.log, it appears that <curses.h> is
missing, that comes from the libncurses5-dev package (so, "sudo apt
install libncurses5-dev").  You could also try installing the build
dependencies for nmh, something like "sudo apt-get build-dep nmh".

        Building nmh from source might also need to run ./autogen.sh
before ./configure, as well.  I just tried this against the current git
repository on Ubuntu 18.04 and it worked fine for me.

        -J

---
        -Jay Vosburgh, address@hidden