Re: [nmh-workers] strace show # pauses/takes 5+ sec | network issue? ( n

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] strace show # pauses/takes 5+ sec | network issue? ( not nmh )
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2019 20:50:18 -0400

>I suggest -ff, which will populate the files /tmp/foo.12343 by PID#

When you have a generic sort of "hang" I'm NOT a fan of that, because it's
tough to figure out which (of any) processes is causing the hang without
some (possibly a lot) cross-correlation.

>I can't see why scan is doing DNS, but what do I know.

I ran into this one time on an airplane.  If you don't have "localname"
set in mts.conf, anything that calls LocalName() (which is essentially
almost everything) ends up calling getaddrinfo(gethostname()), which may
result in a DNS lookup.  And some things will still result in a call
to getaddrinfo(gethostname()) even if you DO have localname set (scan
I don't think will, but I could be wrong).

--Ken