Re: [nmh-workers] To/cc decode or not to/cc decode

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] To/cc decode or not to/cc decode
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 13:22:40 -0400

>My thought was that it got invoked if .mh_profile didn't have the
>"mh-version" line.  Given your comment about this being spread out among
>lots of files, perhaps we could simplify to a uniform process: all files
>are versioned, and all generate the same message on being read if
>there's been a relevant version change — something like this:

Weeeelll ... that's not a bad idea, actually.  It might be kind of how
we do the NEWS file now.  Although that tends to show up more often
that I want sometimes.  I'm not completely sure how that works for format
files; we'd need to think about that.  I guess a comment in the begining
would work.

>For efficiency the /etc/nmh files could be versioned too, and the
>version check only triggered when their version is bumped.  That way, if
>release 1.7 did nothing to change /etc/nmh/mhl.reply, that would stay at
>version 1.6 and the out-of-date warning wouldn't be triggered if the
>user's mhl.reply was also at 1.6.  Does require a partial parse of the
>/etc files too, which could be annoying; perhaps the last-changed
>version could be in the code instead.

That might be worth doing as well.

>Hm.  Do you have a prioritised list of jobs you'd most like done?

Well, here's my "wish list" for 1.8:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2019-05/msg00000.html

--Ken