Re: [nmh-workers] To/cc decode or not to/cc decode

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] To/cc decode or not to/cc decode
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 10:28:02 +0100

Hi Ken,

> > > Or, if mhl knows what fields contain addresses, I forget, then
> > > perhaps a method of globally saying all address fields should be
> > > decoded and unquoted?
> >
> > That would be a nice enhancement.
>
> My vague plans are that when nmh is changes to have a "real" internal
> API is that in the normal course of things you will automatically get
> the decoded form of header fields, so you won't need to specify things
> like this in your mhl file (unless someone could think of a reason you
> WOULDN'T want to do that).

Because MH lets us arrange things how we want so if decoding was done by
default we'd need a means to get to the raw original version instead,
e.g. I want to scan or pick them based on the raw value.  Given decoding
isn't lossless, this suggests both the original and decoded would need
to be kept.

Instead, and rather than apply the negative un-decode, my feeling is the
decode should be explicit.  We can provide default configurations that
apply for it new users, much as we are now.

--
Cheers, Ralph.