[nmh-workers] To/cc decode or not to/cc decode

From: Conrad Hughes
Subject: [nmh-workers] To/cc decode or not to/cc decode
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 14:43:53 +0100

Upgraded to Debian 10/buster and nmh 1.7.1-4 recently: very swish.

Took me a while to pin down a double appearance of the message context
(a legacy mhl.headers MessageName entry, in the end), but while doing
that I noticed that the default (at least under Debian) To: and cc:
lines in mhl.headers are just empty, implicitly not decoding their
content, while the From: line does extra work:

  From:formatfield="%(unquote(decode{text}))"

.. now actually I'm seeing unreadable garbage in my To: lines quite
frequently, so adding the same format tweak to To: and cc: seems to make
sense.  Any good reason not to do this, or why this isn't the default
for To: and cc: as well as From:?

Conrad