Re: [nmh-workers] logging outgoing messages

From: Robert Elz
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] logging outgoing messages
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 00:33:32 +0700

    Date:        Wed, 10 Jul 2019 11:28:20 -0400
    From:        Ken Hornstein <address@hidden>

  | But do the users provide you the queue-id?

They will (sometimes) provide whatever info has been returned to
them, if the queue-id has been included with that, then it will
often be included (the user might have no idea what it is, or why
it is there, but if the mailer told them that - logged it somewhere
that they can find it - then, at least for some users, that's what
will be supplied.

More commonly though, a single lost message is simply written off.
When messages are being regularly "misplaced" though, usually the
user will consult the local (or ISP) expert for assistance - that
kind of person should know how to monitor the SMTP transaction, and
extract the queue-id to send to the managers of the MTA that
accepted the mail, to see what happened to it next.    If there's
a queue-id available for a past lost message, that can save time
(and perhaps avoid heisenberg effects).

  | First ... what unreliable email providers do you guys use that go down
  | all of the time?

It isn't the email servers that go down, but the network link that
gets to them - and not necessarily in the "something is broken" sense
(though that happens too) but in the "I am not currently connected to
he net anywhere, but I want to send e-mail anyway - it can get delivered
later, but if I defer sending it I will either forget what I wanted to
say, or that I was supposed to reply at all..."

[Aside: I run my own MTA, always have, I don't see that ever changing.]

kre