Re: [nmh-workers] logging outgoing messages

From: Steven Winikoff
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] logging outgoing messages
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 02:27:34 -0400

>I agree with that, and even when ifdef's are added, they should be
>positive, not double negative, so
>       #ifndef NOSYSLOG
>is just perferse,

Of course it is.  As I mentioned in my previous message...

>       #ifdef  USE_SYSLOG
>would work just as well (it does mean the name needs to be explicitly
>defined to get the new code,

...I was just too lazy to do that for a proof of concept.  There's no
question that you're right if such a patch were to be added in production
while using #ifdef

>  | - It is not clear to me that you can state with certainly that the
>  |   250 response code will contain the queue identifier
>
>No, you can't, but these days it almost always does.

That matches my experience.

>Personally, I'd just suggest keeping the local MTA, having post deliver
>to that, and let it do the logging

That's exactly what I've always done, from time immemorial until just
about two weeks ago.

Ironically enough I actually prefer to do it this way, but I was under the
impression that this is deprecated in modern configurations.  I'd be happy
to be wrong about that.

     - Steven
Steven Winikoff                |
Montreal, QC, Canada           |  Don't use no double negatives.
address@hidden               |
http://smwonline.ca            |