Re: [nmh-workers] Formatting HTML to Text: netrik.

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] Formatting HTML to Text: netrik.
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2019 21:43:37 -0400

Robert writes:

>     Date:        Sun, 07 Jul 2019 12:56:13 -0700
>     From:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <address@hidden>
>
>   | But to answer Ralph's inquiry...
>   | LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>   | LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
>   | LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
>   | LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
>   | LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
>   | LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
>   | LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
>   | LC_ALL=
>
> That looks wrong ...

That looks like the output of locale(1) rather than variable
assignments.  The Linux man page for locale explains it concisely:

    Values for variables set in the environment are printed without
    double quotes, implied values are printed with double quotes.

POSIX.1 specifies the same behavior.  And it specifically mentions
the "LC_ALL=\n" output when LC_ALL isn't set.

I get the exact same output on my Fedora 30 box, and I don't set
any of those variables.

> You *never* want it [LC_ALL] set in the environment.

+1

David