Re: [nmh-workers] Multiple identities and envelope-from

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] Multiple identities and envelope-from
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2019 18:03:21 -0400

>> How exactly are you submitting email? smtp, sendmail/smtp, or
>> sendmail/pipe?
>
>sendmail/pipe, the reduced functionality one.  But if I telnet 25 it
>seems to invoke exim directly, and changing my mts.conf to 'smtp'
>(server was already localhost) accordingly seems to work.
>
>.. and the envelope-from is now correctly 'address@hidden', so all
>appears to be fine from just making that switch to smtp.
>
>Is there anything potentially problematic I should be aware of about
>invoking via smtp like this, instead of pipe?

I can't think of anything, except that you need to make sure exim is
configured correctly (it sounds like that has already been done).  And
as a warning, future versions of nmh default to the SMTP submission port
so maybe you want to add a "-port 25" under send in your profile, or
make sure exim is also listening on the submission port (587).

I personally want as few moving parts as possible so that's why I
configure nmh to submit directly to my provider's SMTP servers, but
either way should work fine.

--Ken